K-Pop is like learning a new language, so difficult it's easy right? It can be intimidating and confusing trying to find the right songs and artists to listen to especially when it comes to something so personal. Music is kind of like food and even if you think cheesecake is delicious someone else will prefer fruitcake.
![]() |
| Get it K-Pop!!?? Lol I know I'm a lame but at least smile..a laugh would be nice |
Music is not a one size fits all type of thing. Every ear and each individual has their own musical and lyrical preference. With that in mind I have a few lists of songs, artists, and musical moods for those of you who are either new to the K-Pop Culture Club and were simply curious as to what all the talk about it is or for the K-Pop veterans who may have over looked some tunes or artists.
Now before we can get started let me explain some brief history well more like brief information. K-Pop literally stands for Korean Popular Music same as American pop music just in another language which happens to have derived from Asia specifically Korea.
There are also some noticeable differences between K-Pop and A-Pop naaaah that just doesn't have the same ring American Pop music.
For example in America it is rather unheard of for music artists to have groups especially large groups and besides The Pussy Cat Dolls USUALLY groups are more like bands meaning everyone is not a singer or a lead singer at that and are not always even featured in the music video.Also a lot of if not most American music videos incorporate a story rather than just sing about feelings.
American videos are also not nearly as stiff MOST K-Pop videos are in set scenes that don't change much but will enchant you with their crazy colorful sets and lighting and did I mention the super stylin' outfits!? K-Pop music tends to be about love 99.9% of the time this may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the person but personally I like that most of the time but sometimes I like music that makes me feel a certain way. I know there are songs and maybe even an artist that breaks that rule but I don't always want an "I love you soo much" or "oh no we broke up" kind of a song sometimes I want something sad or angry or with deeper meaning.
American videos are also not nearly as stiff MOST K-Pop videos are in set scenes that don't change much but will enchant you with their crazy colorful sets and lighting and did I mention the super stylin' outfits!? K-Pop music tends to be about love 99.9% of the time this may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the person but personally I like that most of the time but sometimes I like music that makes me feel a certain way. I know there are songs and maybe even an artist that breaks that rule but I don't always want an "I love you soo much" or "oh no we broke up" kind of a song sometimes I want something sad or angry or with deeper meaning.
Because groups are sooo large you will find it hard to tell the singers and dancers apart literally if you have only watched 2 or 3 music videos from said artist you may not be able to tell who is just back up and who is in the group because they generally sport similar outfit and hair looks and styles. And of course like most bands there is not a huge emphasis on the names of individual members but instead a focus on the group collectively. One cool thing I must point out is the accuracy and raw talent.
Again this is my own humble opinion but K-Pop concerts are awesome! The artists tend to go all out and will generally wear the EXACT same outfits they wore from the music videos you watched making you feel as though you are watching the actual video live and when they sing live it sounds just like the recorded music video (maybe it is but who cares). If you attend a concert you will not be disappointed. It is very common and practically impossible to find a song not an artist a song) that doesn't have any English in it. A LOT of Asian music in general has several lyrics, choruses, and verses in English there are YouTube compilations on videos that sound funny to "English Ears" due to words being mispronounced, or Korean words that pair with English words in an odd way.
Again this is my own humble opinion but K-Pop concerts are awesome! The artists tend to go all out and will generally wear the EXACT same outfits they wore from the music videos you watched making you feel as though you are watching the actual video live and when they sing live it sounds just like the recorded music video (maybe it is but who cares). If you attend a concert you will not be disappointed. It is very common and practically impossible to find a song not an artist a song) that doesn't have any English in it. A LOT of Asian music in general has several lyrics, choruses, and verses in English there are YouTube compilations on videos that sound funny to "English Ears" due to words being mispronounced, or Korean words that pair with English words in an odd way.
If you are anything like me you probably would like to know what they are singing in Korean and broken English. Let's admit it yes we mainly like K-Pop because of the cute boys, pretty girls, flashy outfits and all but it's really the beat and music that pulls us in and it is what we hear first mentally. However knowing the lyrics to your favorites songs and being able to understand them can make a song even better by giving it meaning you can understand, interpret and relate to.
You can always turn the caption on if you are watching these videos on YouTube but they are not always available or accurate.... (back on subject!) Well there are several websites that cater to your needs and specifically translates the Korean lyrics to both romanji (if you want to know the exact Korean word) and English. So it is possible for you to follow along in awe because you know the cute stuff being sung to you through your screen or you can sing aloud in Korean thanks to being able to read the romanji and thus speak Korean. You can simply perform a quick Google search of the song name and artists and attach the word lyrics and viola!
You can follow most artists on YouTube and Facebook some have other social media accounts but pretty much all of them have record labels who host YouTube channels and will feature the artist of your choice latest video, behind the scenes, dances, and questions and answers.
To me even when videos do not have subtitles they are great to watch because you can upload them yourself to help out the K-Pop community by simply having a close ear and copying and pasting from a lyric website to match the song as it goes OR you can just listen music can be a beautiful thing even if you can'y speak or understand the language. That's one of the beautiful things about music it's something we all understand. Besides the music videos give you a pretty good idea as to what they are talking about.
K-Pop tends to mimic the pattern of contemporary music from the United States of America mainly andmost obviously Rhythm & Blues and Hip Hop while maintaining a Pop music appearance.
However this is not to be confused with U.S music as it brings a different vibe and feeling than it's United States origin counter part. The best example I can give you is anime. K-Pop is like anime. Sure anime is the same as a cartoon (just ask any native from Japan who speaks Japanese fluently and has lived there their whole life). However anime has a different feeling it is often times deeper and has more character and seriousness as well as an actual plot unlike most of our American shows in which chracters are often times goofy and plots are very random varying episode to episode. Well "K-Pop is the Anime of music"- Rin.Yes it's music just like ours but the lyrics are not the only thing that makes it different there's a special art and aura. So much goes into the dances, outfits, hair and makeup it is truly something special. Remember "inspiration isn't necessarily replication"-Rin.
However this is not to be confused with U.S music as it brings a different vibe and feeling than it's United States origin counter part. The best example I can give you is anime. K-Pop is like anime. Sure anime is the same as a cartoon (just ask any native from Japan who speaks Japanese fluently and has lived there their whole life). However anime has a different feeling it is often times deeper and has more character and seriousness as well as an actual plot unlike most of our American shows in which chracters are often times goofy and plots are very random varying episode to episode. Well "K-Pop is the Anime of music"- Rin.Yes it's music just like ours but the lyrics are not the only thing that makes it different there's a special art and aura. So much goes into the dances, outfits, hair and makeup it is truly something special. Remember "inspiration isn't necessarily replication"-Rin.
There's much more to add and I could go on with this forever but let's get to the point! Here are my top recommendations for new Korean Pop Music listeners.
First I will start off with Korean Pop Artists who make mostly songs that are pure magic & gold. Next is a list of the best songs that will universally please your ears regardless of your personal taste, Then next is a list of my own top 10 songs that I can't get enough of. Last but not least a list of songs by category of sound and feeling if you like specific genres and styles.
Please keep in mind that this is a list of older songs for NEW K-Pop fans or anyone curious of this genre and style of foreign music. The lists below and information above is just to inform you of some basics. Songs and artists are listed in no particular order. Most songs will be recycled from previous lists above in example a song listed in my favorites may also be listed in songs by mood. The songs title is listed first and then the artists name.
Enjoy and happy listening!
Artists to Watch
These artists generally only make great songs
1.) BTS
3.) MISS A
4.) EXO-K
5.) 2NE1
Top 10 Songs
These songs are listed in no particular order but everyone can agree they are great pop songs for newbs. I picked these songs because they are all diverse and different providing you with the basics of the different looks and sounds that K-Pop can have.
1.) Bad But Good- Miss A
2.) What's Wrong With Me- San E Feat. Kang Min Hee
3.) Overdose- EXO K
4.) Can't Stop Me Now- CN Blue
5.) Something- Girls Day
6.) 200%- Akdong Musician
7.) Give It To Me- Sistar
8.) I Got A Boy- Girls Generation
9.) I AM The Best- 2NE1
10.) DOPE- BTS
Rin's Personal Top 10 Favorite Songs
These are 10 songs I would never skip in a playlist of if I were to press shuffle on my phone. If you listen to nothing else I highly recommend you give these 10 songs a try.
1.) Damaged Lady- KARA
2.) Just One Day- BTS
3.) NUMBER NINE- T-ARA
4.) Stop Girl- U-KISS
5.) What's Wrong With Me- San E Feat. Kang Min Hee
6.) Hush- Miss A
7.) Move- Kim Yeon Woo
8.) 200%- Akdong Musician
9.) Mama- EXO-K
10.) Ferver- Baek Ji Young
Okay, I know it's a top 10 list but I couldn't leave out a bonus song right?
10.5.) Mini Skirt- Ace Of Angels
Songs By Mood
These songs can cheer you up, get you in the mood for dancing, or make you want to cry.
These are just some musical samples of a diverse sound yes these are repeats of the above list but they are broken down into categories for those of you who don't want to search and listen to each song.
Happy & Excited Upbeat
Energetic Fun light heart music for a happy day or feelings of joy and happiness. Perfect for dancing.Yes I am aware that this list is longer than the other but most songs fit this category and its a fan favorite!
Energetic Fun light heart music for a happy day or feelings of joy and happiness. Perfect for dancing.Yes I am aware that this list is longer than the other but most songs fit this category and its a fan favorite!
1.) Mr.- KARA
2.) Gee- Girls Generation
3.) I do I do- Secret
4.) Darling- Girls Day
5.) Excuse Me- Bestie
6.) Like This- Wonder Girls
7.) Bar Bar Bar- Crayon Pop
8.) Pretty Pretty- Ladies Code
9.) Mr. Chu- APink
10.) Something- Girls Day
Romantic & Sweet Sounding
Songs that are fierce and sexy. Perfect for prepping yourself and boosting your confidence.
Songs that are fierce and sexy. Perfect for prepping yourself and boosting your confidence.
1.) Just One Day- BTS
2.) Give it to Me- Sistar
3.) Hush- Miss A
4.) Mini Skirt- Ace Of Angels
5.) Can't Stop Me Now- CN Blue
Sad & Slow
Pure soft, mellow, and simple music sweet sounding voices that just might make you cry. These songs are touching and filled with emotion as the lyrics come from heavy hearts.
1.) Ferver- Baek Ji Young
2.) Move- Kim Yeon Woo
3.) 2 Years Apart- Eddy Kim
4.) What's Wrong With Me- San E Feat. Kang Min Hee
5.) Like- Kim Woo Joo
1.) Metronome- Jay Park
2.) Nike Shoes- Beenzino Feat. Dynamic Duo
3.) Bird No Singing- Haihm
4.) Pounding Heart- Sweet Sorrow
5.) I just need music- 1sagain
And as an added bonus I highly recommend that you do the following....
Watch a Unique Korean Drama
This is my absolute favorite K-Drama and my favorite show of all time period! This show is about a group of rookie cops in training in Seoul Korea it is both a drama, and comedy but it also has just enough action and romance to keep you on edge. You will truly gain a deep connection with each character. The worst part is that like all Asian Dramas the shows only run for about a couple dozen episodes or less.
Listen To An Edgy Korean Rap Artist
Check out Beenzino's full mixtape album on YouTube While rap isn't my idea of edgy in Korea it most certainly is in the pop music scene.I would love to see him & Jay Park do an album together.
Beenzino is a Korean rapper the album is pure fire and a must listen give it a shot even if you don't usually like rap or hip hop you can't deny the good beats besides "Boogie on & on" will definitely give you a good laugh (to meet it sounds like "I don't care at all, dookie on they nose or dookie all they know) xD but on a serious note each song is good. Play it while you clean the house exercise or straighten your hair.
Watch a Japanese Drama about Life, Love,Destiny & Dreams
A drama based off a Japanese manga. It is about a Japanese woman who is an English teacher with dreams of living abroad in New York. She meets a Buddhist monk who is convinced that she must marry him and stay with him in Japan. Things get complicated as she finds herself stuck in love triangle and becomes even more complex as the 2 have different reactions from family and friends.
Listen To A Japanese Vocaloid Diva's Live Party
Miku Hatsune has too many songs to count and many that are unknown since fans essentially create the songs for her through special computer programs. To many Miku is an acquired taste but I believe she can grow on to you and you will love her music and vocals. I will admit I personally didn't care for her at first and simply looked up Hatsune Miku out of curiosity years ago thinking she was an character from an anime. I kept seeing her name online and her products on Hot Topic's (my favorite store) website. I even read up on her on Wikipedia because like many I though it was very confusing I thought to myself is that a mascot on that stage?
Unfortunately the channel that uploaded the full concert from the Kansai region in Japan from 2013 had to remove the video due to copyright claims but you can purchase the DVD on Ebay or Amazon and there are several uploaded who were kind enough to upload the concerts songs individually with English lyrics and romanji (YAY US!). OR you can also watch the animated music videos from Hatsune Miku Project Diva the video game which generally has the lyrics alongside too if you care to read them along.I will make another post that goes into greater detail about Miku as well as the other Vocaloids and will list my favorite songs, recommendations and advice to newbs similarly to this one since the Vocaloid craze is a rather big one. My personal favorite song is Albino- Hatsune Miku (by Buzz G).
And a bonus for the end (because I love bonuses three's a charm right?) what better way to end this list than with Ms. Kyary herself. Checkout this explosive colorfully and outrageous video out. She has given herself a name in western households around the world thanks to this video and her cutie pie bubble tea personality.
![]() |
| PONPONPON Kyary Pamyu Pamyu |
I know someone is always going to be butt-hurt over any list that gives the top for well anything but someone has to have the guts to do it! Besides again this is a list of songs and artists for new K-Pop fans both old and young and not really a Top 10 list more like 10 songs you should listen to per category (and 5 for some). Feel free to complain in the comments.... or you can thank me either or...
I hope that you will take the time to listen to all of these songs and artists and find you own favorites. Fell free to share artist names and songs in the comments below if you have any not listed above. Did you listen to the songs above and not like any of them? Did you decide that you don't care for K-Pop? Are you a K-Pop Veteran (listened to K-Pop for 1 year or more)? What's your favorite(s) from the list?
I'd love to hear your opinions! Let me know if this list helped you and if you give the!
Stay Tuned!
Please Subscribe to my Blog and Follow Me on my other social media pages.
YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CoMicninetyfive/videos
YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CoMicninetyfive/videos
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Comic95?lang=en
















No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.