Search

Blog Archive

Saturday, August 20, 2016

YOU FLUFFED IT! How I failed a Tobacco Compliance Sting (My Ranty Story And Why I Hate Them)

This will be arguably one of the most controversial and racy first blog posts anyone has made but I figured I would start off my blog with a bang. As you can probably guess by the title I failed a sting at my job and well my story is here to help provide anyone out there going through the same thing and to give some advice, comfort and reassurance that this is not the end of the world as well as to provide some insight on my particular story. I also apologize for my grammatical errors in advance but I was quickly typing this on my computer as I ate a $5 deal box (left overs) from Taco Bell.
 I am by no means a lawyer or qualified to give any legal advice but this is my opinion story and well life. So let's get to it shall we?
 I was a former employee at Walgreens drug store and well they happen to sell drugs. The good and bad stuff xD I will probably regret sharing this personal story but hey it's the past and well "we all float on".
 My day at work started off a bit different than usually it was November 21st 2015 (a Wednesday night I believe) I went to work as usual except I had a little more hop in my step since I had just styled my hair in a wavy do which was different from my over grown emo bangs and straightened hairishy look.  I might have even been wearing makeup too but the details to that are a bit blurry at this point. My store manager even noticed how much work I put into my hair and complimented my curls (girl yes, thank you! ^-^).
Why thank you ^_~


The store I worked at was generally relatively VERY slow (I know odd for a Walgreens) so there was generally no more than about 2 and no more than 3 people working at any given time who were not managers and by closing time just you and whoever the shift manager was. There was never more than 5-10 customers in the store at any given time and it was not unusual for there to be only 3-5 customer for a whole hours span especially in the evening or morning hours. 
How this store managed to stay open I do not have a clue (other than when it became the speed of a typical Walgreens store on holidays and around the biggest shopping season of them all... Christmas.
Anyway whenever the store would slow down I would begin to "face" or "deep zone" term that you are probably familiar with if you have ever worked retail like myself. 
I was "facing" as usual about a couple of hours into my shift when this tall, fat, and nerdy looking guy came up to my register I approached him and did my typical speech that Walgreens desperately attempted to beat into me "Hi how are you, do you have a balance rewards card (OMG that "balance rewards card" sentence part alone is such a tongue twister for me I can't tell you or count how many times a "custy" has asked me "umm I'm sorry what was that?" or that simply said "no thank you". Oh and while we are on the topic I HATED THAT! I always wanted to say ummm excuse me. why are you saying "no thank you" did you even hear me ( I asked I did not offer and besides it's free)?!!!? I asked IF you had a rewards card NOT if you wanted one.... SMH!)
 LOL okay I am so sorry back on subject. He was such a nice guy or so I thought he asked for some "Black 'n Milds" ( I apologize if I butchered the name but I don't smoke nor am I very familiar with tobacco products or drugs for that matter despite having worked there so bare with me.
I had only been employed there for a couple of months which at some places is veteran status as a retail worker but not at my slow store were the turn over rate was pretty low considering that at the time everyone working there had been there for 1-35 plus years and 4 years being the average for most of the employees. 
SO back to the story. I began stumbling and was quite embarrassed that I was not aware of which package I should be grabbing from behind the counter so I asked him to point to it or to let me know when I was near it as I imagine it went something like Sponge Bob asking Patrick to put his hand on "the lid". Only moments after attempting to find the right pack did he say it doesn't matter and that the one I had in my hand would do. I decided okay sounds good to me! I asked for his ID and he was more than happy to provide his to me. When I looked at the date seeing 1997 seemed too young to be of legal age (November of 2015 when this took place). So I stared stupidly at his ID for what felt like hours as though it were going to list his age or like it were some sort of a smart identification card (patent pending) in which it would speak to me. I was too dumbfounded and a little scared to use common sense and work out the basic math of subtracting his date of birth from the current year. I tried to scan his ID but the register did not prompt me so I cancelled the sale and rung up the item again. Since I was taking forever I simply (stupidly) decided to go through with the sale and I convinced myself that if he was underage which he appeared to have been at least 18 or in his 20's (which to remind you; you only have to be 18 anyway) I thought he would not have been dumb enough to present a clearly underage ID. He paid in cash and oddly wanted his receipt which as any convenience store cashier can tell you smokers (yes we have stereotyped all of you, sorry) never want a receipt only in rare circumstances and it's usually only when they are purchasing cartons or a large amount of cigarettes or are paying with a credit card or if they think you're trying to cheat them because they aren't smart enough to understand taxes or read fine print or anything for that matter and do not understand the concept that you are just an employee and do not get to benefit from over or undercharging anyone and minimum wage is not enough money for the crap and rudeness you deal with everyday and thus do not want to argue with someone so IGNORANT.
His actions were so weird to me I thought as I went back to the candy aisle and prayed to God that it was not a sting as I had just read about stings and watched some tutorials through the training videos I was far behind on since"Big Money Walgreens" ( a customer called them that when talking to me before) was not willing to spend extra money for my training and thus my managers allegedly claimed that I had to find time to train in between customers which let me tell you is ridiculous and in my opinion ought to be illegal. 
Something just did not feel right I began wishing that I had called a manager to the front and I thought about how there was no one else in the store so I had all the time in the world since there was no line I could have easily just waited for them and said the magic words.... "customer assistance is needed at register 1" or "manager dial 227" but NOPE! I stupidly sold them and now all I could do was wait.
What did I just do?....

I am not sure how long I waited but as I came back to the register and rang up customers 2 unfriendly asshole officers came in and asked for my manager and told me I had just sold cigarettes to a minor after giving me permission to ring up the 2-3 people who waited in line I called my manager and was replaced by the "beauty adviser"  (what a dumb job tittle). They explained what happened. I explained that it was an accident (the typical story everyone hears) they went to the back office with the 2 assistant managers for the night shift and called for the store manager who had just left out about an hour ago after having complimented me only to be called back for my fatal mistake. I was beyond embarrassed. The officers did not care asked for my ID set a court date and were very straight forward and strictly business. 
I took an early lunch cried and explained to my store manager about what happened. I was given a final warning and told if it happened again they would have to terminate me. An online message in their system was also sent to my supervisor. I was furious since I could have easily prevented that scenario and I had not even finished my tobacco compliance training yet. I was selling it on the sales floor without fully understanding what I was getting myself into. I literally flashed back to everything that happened out of my short 2 month career with Walgreens. I remember being told to "just sign here and here click yes, just skim through this oh its not that important, it's just saying, etc." by the store manager and co workers. But the moment things got real everything quickly became my fault because by making those little electronic clicks I was agreeing to be held up to those standards as an employee I was acknowledging my understanding to something I did not fully know or understand. I purposefully took my time training watched every video, answered every question that I could etc. and ironically this made my manager and possibly co workers pissed. They constantly pressured me to skip training video and passages and even grabbed my computer mouse from me and did me "the favor" of taking over for me.
 I didn't take my time to waste the companies I just figured hey if you are going to sign anything you should know what you are signing and why skip over information pertaining to your job when you are only going to have to go back and re-watch it or ask questions later. If you don't want your employees to be educated on their job don't provide them with the false option and to those of you who wonder why retail workers have such poor attitudes this is why! They are under trained and a lot of them simply have no desire to learn as they are not forced to. Combine all of that with low pay and well you have a recipe for disaster. I had just gotten a .25 cent raise (the whole store did wooohoo $8.50 WOW!)which had no meaning to me having come from a job that paid almost double. I was just grateful to have a job again but this will be another story.
About a month later I was at the small court house and when I was offered by the attorney to explain my unique situation since I express that I attempted to refuse the sale and the video camera and transaction showed that I attempted to cancel the sale and retry the ID, my store lacked proper signage to help employees card such as the posters stating that "you must be born this year today's date" blah blah blah,and that I was a new employee who had not completed training, and even had the printed and photographic proof from Walgreens training system showing I had training that was due way back in September and October that was past due.
 Well while he pretended to care and was shocked that I still had my job as it is apparently common practice for places such as Speedway to just fire and let you go on the spot. My job did not, but instead made my first warning my last (which I am very appreciative of and thankful for don't get me wrong). However I knew I was facing roughly a whole paycheck ( or more) worth of fines and had plans to go to New York which I did do but they were cut short due to having to return home to attend this court date. He basically said he had to fine us because his boss won't like him being easy on people and they want to enforce strictness and some other crap like that and I'm thinking like yeah I could care less that's your job and basically all I'm hearing is "sorry but my job is to be unfair, we don't care if it was your first time and accident or not there are no exceptions I want to maintain my record". 
I pressed forward and decided I wanted an actual trial and boy did this knock his socks off. He was shocked got together the papers asked if the new date would work for me and sent me on my way. I decided to stay behind with my mother and as we sat in the room and listened in on the following cases we saw several people in my situation who who were at fault and more than likely made no attempt to stop the sale or care about it and just handed and sold what they asked for possibly with out carding and giving the typical oh the store was so busy line. ( no offense to anyone who was in that scenario hey we all make mistakes but I was fighting for my life and record). Everyone that went forth happened to be a minority pleaded guilty choose to pay the $450 fine and went on with their now jobless lives.
  Before my second court date the lawyer I spoke with said that I spoke well enough to be a lawyer and knew that my judge would like me or so he said, anyway. He said that there wasn't much he could do as they try to be strict about punishing those who allow the sale or purchase of tobacco to minors although I was barely beyond being a minor myself (which I did secretly hope would help my case and it didn't). 
SO I gained confidence I told the story as I always did which was the truth I accepted responsibility for the sale taking place but simply wanted a second chance and felt that my job should have been somewhat liable for having an untrained employee on the floor.
  My store manager offered to not only come with me to court but to even go as far as to give me a ride to court which sounded sweet but my family suggested that she may have an ulterior motive so I backed out on her offer after having previously agreed.
My next court date the same attorney met with me I was called 2nd or 3rd and they were not ready for me even after all that time. The police offers or snitch was not even present! The attorney offered to reschedule me again or to make a deal and for me to just serve 25 hours community service and this time I took his offer. It was like playing a game of deal or no deal. After accepting the judge who was a very nice older man told me "okay Sharon looks you have 25 hours to compete come back in 2 months with your service complete and all of this will go away, and if you need more time we can extend it for you", the attorney chimed in. I was ecstatic!
  My heart ached for everyone once again that I saw being mislead and paying the fine even although they were already jobless and not as fortunate as myself to at least still be employed and thus able to pay any fines or court costs I may encounter which is also a scam in the justice system. I was constantly being encouraged and ill advised (did I say that right?) to pay the fine and be done with it but I had enough problems in my life so the last thing I wanted was a record especially not as a double minority being an African-American (Black) female. I was also lucky to have a mother who worked for a non profit and was able to serve all of my community service in less than 7 days while managing to work my regular hours at work.
On my third and final court date I was one of the last called before the judge and when I presented the judge with my letter from the non profit organization the attorney took it from my hands to hand to him and he asked the attorney if the work I did was agreed upon and told me I was essentially getting away with murder scotch free. I was too happy that it was all over that I ignored his ignorance of my specific circumstances and while no one wants to hear the truth look and race clearly played a part in this Chicago suburb. I watched several blonde women dressed in skimpy outfits that couldn't have had their breast more pressed up against the attorney or judge have the option to serve community service as my mother and I sat and watched several poor, straggly, and not so attractive individuals of every race (including elderly Caucasians) quickly get denied other options to avoid jail time or fines when all these women had to do was dress like a slut and have their father come to court and say how their daughter can't have a record because she's too perfect. I mean these women (and there were some men too) all came from what appeared to be good homes, money, and social status not because of their wealth but their appearances as well as their cars and families how accompanied them. 
Yet drinking and driving, speeding, and crashing cars that you aren't ensured under as well as using illegal drugs and shoplifting are much better offenses than accidentally selling tobacco to a minor which is generally a year or (3 months like the guy I got stung over) underage. I get it it's the law and once again for all of us who have committed this crime it's our fault and we must take responsibility but it is beyond unfair that you have already been humiliated in front of everyone possibly arrested in front of your "custys" and coworkers and now have to go to court and receive a fine the equivalent to your last and final paycheck if almost a months worth of retail work. This is "over capping" and ridiculous to me and many others. Your job gets fined too or can even have their license suspended potential money loss but they bring in millions if not billions a years anyway trust me Walgreens is not hurting over a fine under five hundred dollars!
I was angered that I did not have the right to warn people that looked like me that if they waited or fought back they could possibly get the option to have a "trial" or could ask if they could serve community service hours. I had to keep my mouth shut or jeopardize my own "deal with the devil". 
I was the only minority who was not fined. Every African and Latino American I saw stand before the judge and meet with the attorney paid the fine and "coincidentally" people who willing committed theft and reckless drivers were given drivers school and automatic community service no fines no jail time. And while I would never wish something bad like that on anyone as we all make big and small and dumb mistakes I can't wrap my mind around how unfair that is!
In fact why aren't minors and or their parents fined for attempting to purchase underage products!? Using that stuff is illegal if you are underage so why do they get away scotch free? You may say that makes no since but when I was 16 my mother paid and was fined $80 for me staying out after the dumb 10' o clock curfew that apparently exists in Illinois. Most underage people who do or want to drink or smoke can and will do it anyway or they will find a friend or family member who will willing buy and share it with them so why is sooo much money even wasted on this stuff. 
I heard and read that in Japan you can buy alcohol and cigarettes from a vending machine and grocery stores have a "yes or no" prompt that asks the customer to select "yes I am" or "no I am not" of age to drink and or smoke. I remember my "friends" and classmates smoking weed in the locker room in junior high and walking into pub bars when we were only 14 these girls were already regularly drinkers and smokers! It's sad but reality. Not all (if any at all) underage sellers are doing this on purpose I think it should be judged on a case by case bases. In the court systems eyes I was merely a guilty convict my story clearly did not matter everything was black and white (no pun intended.
 I was furious and could only think of a handful of times when I really felt that I was a minority and being treated unfair openly, and this was definitely one of those times. My intelligence saved my record and wallet from an unfortunate situation that could have had a major impact on my life, career and plans. My determination in deciding that I was not going to plead guilty saved my record and me from an expense I simply could not afford as it could ruin the chances of me getting another job, career or being admitted into college or even travelling. I'm sure there's a little stain left on it but it's not as bad as it could have been!


I don't want to end this post without recapping and giving you some tips if you or someone you know is ever in my situation.
I was a special case. I was lucky to have gotten community service at least in my town. The courts attorney was lucky that I was tired of having to attend court so I took his "deal". I am aware that he didn't have to do that and I am forever grateful but I am also aware that I helped him by keeping his clean record of making sure everyone who enters that court on tobacco related technicalities is technically found guilty and serves some kind of time whether it community service or a fine or jail time. He knew that the police offers weren't petty enough to both show up with the snitch and fight me in court!
I have been accepted to and currently attend college and have been employed since this incident. In fact I work in another pharmacy you know the place Walgreens claims they will move you over to in due time. Life goes on. You will find another job and get into college I promise you!
Yay I'm Free!

(FYI I had another sting and passed it months later) and the assistant manager told me "Good job Rin"! and well I felt good after that. I stayed at the company for 7 months after the sting before finding a better job and getting closer to fulfilling my dreams and long term goals.

 Tips To Help You Avoid Making My Tragic Mistakes......
1.) It's better to be safe than sorry. Always call for a manager or refuse a sale. tell the customer that it is against the law and "insert company you work for's" policy to make this sell. If you are ever unsure. You have the right to do so!

2.) Stay calm and keep a firm voice when speaking to the cstomer. If the customer gets angry ignore them and help whoever is next if they get rowdy call 911 and or your manager

3.) Don't be embarrassed get a piece of scrap paper or a calculator to determine their age based off of their date of birth. If something still doesn't seem right go back to step #1

4.) If you do accidentally make the sale immediately apologize and explain anyway. Ask for community service if possible and if not refuse to pay the fine and ask for a trial since it is very unlikely that the little fucker (excuse me snitch) and police officers will show up anyway meaning you would have won the case (Yay you)!

5.) Be more careful take your time ignore the line and don't rush besides you're not going to get a raise for scanning items fast or serving 20 customers in less than 3 minutes. Get rid of the invisible pressure you, your customers, co workers and management has attempted to place on you. Make sure you are working at a speed you feel comfortable at.
This post is getting pretty long so I will make another part and eventually upload a video explaining the whole situation. If this was helpful, made you laugh, cry, angry, mad ,sad, etc. please like it, share it and leave a comment and share your story below. Did you get fired, quit, pay a fine? Let me know in the comments below.
you can do it!
I made this post to help and encourage  anyone working at a convenience store, drug store, or retailer that sales alcohol  or tobacco. I went through this in the Fall of 2015 but at the time I couldn't find any real help or advice so I decided to be that line of help and if nothing else to at least share my story  with a face attached. I know this can back lash and it might not be of any help but I just want you to know you are not alone and won't be the first or last person (unfortunately) to go through this trauma.  I wanted to be real and tell you exactly  how I felt and what I was going through.
I am a bit dramatic and I get panic attacks and have some anxiety when it comes to both small or big things I can admit that I am easily embarrassed  and fragile but I'm sure others share my fear of this situation.
As you know this is my first post and I am just getting started so please stay with me and I will begin updating more frequently across several platforms.
Stay Tuned!

Please Subscribe to my Blog and Follow Me on my other social media pages.

YouTube: 
https://www.youtube.com/user/CoMicninetyfive/videos

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Most Popular Posts