Search

Blog Archive

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Everything you need to know about getting a job at CVS Pharmacy

These are some tips tricks and little things to help you on your path to landing a job at CVS as well as knowing what to expect.

#1 You don't need any experience (technically)


I was able to sell the pharmacy manager on my previous retail experience and show her that I was personable with my customers, took initiative, and was helpful to everyone around me.

Focus and stress out your pharmaceutical knowledge. If you don't have any experience read some books to gain some knowledge. I will upload a video series on being a Pharmacy technician soon.

#2 It's still like retail at times

Patients will ask you dumb stuff and have stupid complaints. I had a guy today who was [picking up for his mother and mad at me because his doctor wrote her prescription for a higher dosage than usual. He insisted that he needed to speak with the manager and told me that he was a doctors physician and that I wouldn't know anything (oh the irony).

I had another man who waited in line for like 20 minutes just to try and return some toothpaste because he purchased the wrong kind! Immmm well let's see Guest Services is on the opposite side of the store this is the pharmacy why did you come all the way over here and wait this long!? Do people not know what a pharmacy is? There are many more examples of stupidity but we will leave it at that.

#3 The hiring process can take FOREVER

I received a call for an interview late July of 2016 interviewed on August 3rd  (I think) and got an offer about a week later. Then I waited about a week before doing a drug and background test and then another 3ish weeks before attending orientation which lasted another 2 and a hagfish weeks. My first week I worked at my home store every other day totaling just about 15 hours. You will have to complete what is called "modules" at home. Modules are just long boring lessons regarding how to do the job. You will learn how to do everything in person once you start training and working at the actual store you were hired at.

Here's the process......

Timeline

1.) Job calls and schedules an interview

2.) Interview in person wait for call back (very simple basic questions)

3.) Apply for a technician license which is about $40 out of pocket

4.) Complete a background check (you will receive emails with these steps detailed)

5.) Complete a drug test (you will receive emails with these steps detailed)

6.) Attend basic orientation (watch a few short videos, go over a few packets about company policies)

7.) Complete 14-20 hours worth of modules from home (you will only be paid for a portion of them determined by the orientation coordinator mines decide they'd pay for 14 hours of work from home)

8.) Attend another orientation (learn a few basics watch a couple of videos shorter class)

9.) Attend training at another location (you may have to go to 2 separate trainings if you work at a stand alone CVS. If your CVS is inside of a Target store (like mines) you will only attend one training at a stand alone store (usually a very busy location with a drive thru). If your home store is a stand alone CVS you will also have 1 shift of just register training like a regular non-technician employee. This will be for about 7-10 hours

10.) Start at your home store (you will probably work a short 4-6 hour shift with a trainer who you will shadow similarly to your first day of training)

#4 You will never finish training....EVER

CVS constantly trains their employees similarly to how Walgreen's does. You will always have modules to complete online as well as in class trainings too! This is great because you are constantly being refreshed, learning and growing within the company. However the biggest con to this is that it is mandatory and you will get written up for failure to complete these trainings on time. Often times you are not given much time or information in advance. You will not be paid for all of the work you do (most of the time you will complete the training from home for free).


#5 The uniform varies... (kind of)

CVS pharmacy technician used to wear white lab jackets and business casual clothing with brown or black shoes. They have recently switched over to light navy blue scrubs. with an 8-bit looking white CVS heart on the upper left chest of the top. the scrub top has 2 pockets and the pants have 4.

The pants are rather long is you are a short gal. I am 5'4 and just a slither under the average USA height of 5'5 yet the pants drag on the floor even with my shoes on. However upon washing them they do shrink length wise. I recommend getting your usual size or even going a size up when asked which size you would like. I personally ordered a Large pant with and Extra Large top. My cheap store only gave me 3 sets to start although I read somewhere that we are allowed 5 sets before being charged for individual extra sets.
The stores are very flexible with the dress code. I wear electric blue, white trimmed, lime colored shoe laced Nike's to work almost everyday and I have even worn my Champagne sequined UGG Australia boots.No one has complained not even the store manager. My co-workers also wear colorful shoes and at the location I trained at (which wore lab jackets/coats at the moment) some of the girls had on leggings! You can also wear thermals or sweater under your scrubs to keep warm during the winter months or cold days in general.
There are no hair style requirements. I recommend that you pull your hair back if it is medium length or long. My hair was constantly getting in my face e all day so I just keep my bangs out and pull the rest back into a cute ponytail.

#6 You don't have to be a scientist or Final Fantasy alchemist 

I honestly still can't pronounce 90% of the drug names nor do I know what exactly are they used for and that's okay because honestly you don't need to know! Legally as a technician you are not allowed to discuss medications even over the counter ones with patients/customers. You will become more comfortable and familiar as time goes on. You will gain confidence! you can ask your fellow techys or the pharmacist his or herself. You also have access to the computer and a pocket guide book at your hands.


#7 It's a Clique in more ways than one

 Pharmacy Technicians are like Nursing Assistants at hospitals. You have to know someone to get the job. The problem here is that unfortunately you have to know someone to get the job. Of course to every rule there is an exception but it is rather difficult to get hired without already knowing a technician who works there or being really luck y and knowing the actual pharmacist or store manager. I knew no one and was new to the neighborhood so don't give up I was once in your shoes

too!
Generally your coworkers will be very warm and friendly however it's just like high school at times. The pharmacist has favorites and so you the technicians. Stay neutral or going the clique but whatever you do DON'T burn a bridge. You will have to work with each other almost every day so choose your words and actions carefully!
My Pharmacy manager has like 4 technicians on payroll who barely even work. They generally work  once a week and still call off every week anyway. Yet I was hired because they are overstaffed and overworked. So don't give up keep trying and applying.

#8 Did I just work a 10 hour shift in 3 hours

You will be so busy counting pills, pouring liquids, filing prescriptions, answering phones, making calls, and ringing up patients, as well as answering both good and dumb questions that your day will fly by. I personally work at a very slow and small pharmacy yet the time flies by and it's great. You may feel overwhelmed and stressed out at times, but that's okay that's why they are paying you! I'd much rather be stressed for 5 minutes than bored and angry for an 8 hour shift that feels more like a 3 day shift.

#9 Being a Technician is not what you expected 

In my opinion no matter what you thought your job was going to be like it more tan likely will not be as you pictured.

For me it was somewhat easier than I had expected however there are so many small rules, special scenarios, and grumpy people (not just patients either).  Unfortunately the 2 pharmacists that you work with are probably going to be polar opposites 1 being relaxed chill and fun the other uptight by the rules and then even adding their own from there.

#10 Certified Platinum
CVS will pay for you to take the PTCB one time and one time only! You will complete online trainings and work as a technician for a minimum of 6 months before they will cover the costs or of course you can take the test on you own out of pocket before then but what's the rush for anyway!?


Be confident you will make a great pharmacy technician just have some hope and faith in yourself!
There are pro's and con's to every job. Focus on the positive and remember that you can use this as a gateway to getting a job at a hospital or possibly pursuing another career in the medical field.
I wish you only the best for you and hope that you are successful in whatever dreams and goals you have.

Have you gone to a CVS interview or applied for a position? Let me know in the comments below. Share your thoughts and questions with everyone.

Stay Tuned!

Please Subscribe to my Blog and Follow Me on my other social media pages.

YouTube: 
https://www.youtube.com/user/CoMicninetyfive/videos

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Most Popular Posts