Search

Blog Archive

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Don't Waste Your Time At Walgreens! (Why you will never become a Pharmacy Technician)

Now before I just go ahead and slam Walgreen's let me give you some disclaimers and a back story of myself. This is for people who have been working at Walgreen's in departments other than the pharmacy and have hopes, dreams, and aspirations of moving to the glorious pharmacy that you probably asked about getting moved to or were hired and told that after you "proved how good and loyal of an employee you were" that Walgreen's would evaluate you and move you back there.

I accepted a job offer for Walgreen's almost exactly a year ago. I went in for an interview for a Pharmacy Technician position after having filled out an application about a month or 2 ago and making phone calls to every pharmacy, but the one I got an interview call from the store manager. I was so excited since I was preparing to get my certification through a junior college program I was going through that would have taken about 2-3 months to complete and lots of paperwork since I was going through the WIOA program they offered. I couldn't believe I passed the dumb test I took in store after completing the initial application that they were still interested in my application or so I thought.


Upon arriving I had to wait about 10 minutes and I saw another girl come out as I was going in who had just interviewed for the same position I figured (I was right). This made me a bit nervous as I had to reschedule my interview for almost a week after the date that the store manager wanted it to be because I had to have transportation (I lived almost 20 minutes away). I quickly regretted that move, but as the interview began I met both the store manager and pharmacists and everything seemed well. They appeared to have really liked me. The store manager even handed me her business ard and told me I could call anytime and that I should from them in a week blah blah blah. The part that was kind of confusing was that I was told they had 10 applicants to go through for one position and asked if I would be okay with just working about 15 hours a week and that they could have me work the front end of the store to give me more hours. She told me that the starting pay for techs was either $10 or $10.75 I don't remember. The manager then asked if I would be okay working the front end of the store in the case that I did not get the job. I stupidly said yes since I did not have much to lose (or so I thought).
To my surprise I got a call back but not with the position I had hoped for. I was given an offer for a position as a front end "team member". She asked me to come in and refill out the application online and check a position that is front end (while heavily implying she wants me to apply for the "customer service team member" aka the "all around slave" who does everything while photo goofs around and cosmetics gets to stare at themselves in the mirror and pretend to dust and "face" shelves.

Now don't get all sensitive on me! I worked at a small store so I often times worked in every department mostly cosmetics.
ANYWAY! After filling out the online application (in store this time) again the manager reassured me that I would get moved to the pharmacy and start training soon and that I basically just had to show that I was a good employee and that she would get in some hours for me soon. Well soon never came. In fact there was a girl there whom I used to talk to (before she got all catty with me) who had been there for 4 or 5 years and was just starting to train in the pharmacy but she was only back there a 1-3 days at the most and whenever we got busy on the front end especially during the holidays she was quickly moved back to the front. This position was called "a hitter" aka Walgreen's being cheap and getting the most out of their employees.
They eventually hired a new girl almost 5 months after my first day who I befriended and upon talking to her I discovered that she was told the same thing as me! She wanted to move to pharmacy as well but the difference was they told her when they were going to and even had secret meetings with her about doing so! I was angry at them and wanted to be happy for her since we were friends but I couldn't help but to feel betrayed by management. I actually liked my store and job. It was fairly easy to do I didn't have any REAL drama just dumb kindergartners playing silent treatment games. I started at minimum wage $8.25 even although I had experience working retails at other stores, a great resume and cover letter, and even although they called me for an interview for another position! I figured I would at least get my asking hourly wage or even my previous pay of $9.25.Well I was wrong but Walgreen's was even wronger.
I was very helpful to my coworkers and customers alike but I never got any recognition for my work (90% of the time at least) and that's okay because I generally always try to do the right thing even when it isn't convenient or even if I know nobody else will notice I know that God will.
I couldn't help but think to myself do they not want me to work back there because I am African-American? I worked at a location were I spend half of the time being the token Black girl since the other 2 were at college for the first 4 months of my employment.
I did notice that the Pharmacists was super awkward around me and would try her best to avoid looking at, speaking to or even acknowledging me even if I spoke to her. Her and another coworker of mines would walk all the way around the store to avoid having to walk pass me it was so petty that it was actually quit funny. They ONLY did this with me! If anyone else was at the register they would stop and speak and walk right by the counter. I thought it was a coincidence until I saw their behavior change when I was in cosmetics and someone else at checkout.

The girl they hired over me was Indian and the store manager was Asian plus the girl they finally were able to hire after trying to trick several other candidates who turned down their fake job offer was Caucasian. I asked my mother for insight and even had a conversation with my "friends" at work who quickly said "I think they didn't put you there because your Black". I wanted to make up excuses for their decision because let's be real here just because someone hates you or doesn't pick you DOES NOT mean that they are prejudice. I completely understand that but what my White friend and Black one too couldn't explain or understand was why when she had only been there for a little over a month was given a date to move into the pharmacy the near approaching summer..... And I couldn't explain either. I kept their dirty games a secret to avoid jeopardizing my friends possible relocation so I did not ask them why they were moving her and not me.
Eventually the store manager was moving to a new store. She told us just days before it would happen so I decided to get some courage and tell her that I was still interested in moving to the pharmacy and asked how would that work since I have already been there for like 7 months (she made it sound like I had to be there for 2-3 months when I was hired). She seemed shocked at my questions but made her on the spot lie promising me that she would tell the new store manager that I was interested in the pharmacy and that basically I should keep up the good work be a good noodle 5 star employee and I would get moved over there. I thought to myself is she f*cking kidding me right now!? I relayed the information to my friend who I believe had also asked the same questions.

Eventually the pharmacist was transferring stores too for a better position (the store manager left for a closer location to her home). I know that at this point everyone who could vouch for my ticket to pharmacy was gone (not that she was going to help me anyway).
I began looking into my own means to get a job at another location so I could stay with Walgreen's and become a Pharmacy Technician. I began studying online and reading books about technician training and jobs. I shared this information with my friend who didn't seem to really care and kept her hope of becoming a technician through Walgreen's while my hopes began to shift towards other stores and hospitals.
Not longer after having done so she quit which shocked me. She did it because of the unfit rude and immature store manager we had apparently through merchandise at her (what she believed to be jokingly but still inappropriate non the less) and she told her that she would never get moved over to pharmacy since she is always coming into work late. ( a bit of an exaggeration she had only been late by a few minutes a few times).
I ended up leaving too after having worked there just shy of a year. Everything began to fall a part. We lost the 2 very important influential people who basically hired us and gave us the word that we would get moved back to their pharmacy, I lost hours thanks to them hiring more employees that we didn't need in an effort to make me quit or transfer since the new store manager did not like me and knew I had moved (she was excited and encouraged me to transfer to another store which is VERY odd for a manager to do especially at a small close knit store). I thought to myself "hmmm.... I've been late before and they never even mentioned pharmacy to me so I guess the old manager never told her or she had already decided that I wasn't even an option". They also stopped allowing me to work in other departments and I stayed at the front end checkout. I asked the why I was only working like 3 days a week after having usually worked at least 5 if not more (I had asked for more hours by the way and then they got cut even lower!). My hours and pay were cut in half and the job was getting more and more stressful with management and lies. I decided it was time for me to get serious and realize that my loyalty to the company would mean nothing to them and that it was time for me to move on and go after what I really wanted.
In conclusion I am sorry if I lost you in this story which has a lot more detail, but I just wanted to summarize it as best as I could without making it 20 pages long (10 pages right?). Just in case it was not clear to you if Walgreen's interviews you and plays games about your position tempting you with the hopes of moving to pharmacy just know that it is very unlikely to happen. yes I know some people do really get fully transferred, but in most cases it never happens and you will find that you have only wasted precious time and money that could have been better spent at another company or even school. Of course some people really do get hired as solely pharmacy techs, but more times often than not especially in smaller and slower stores this does not happen since the turn over rate is low to nonexistent thanks to the easy, slow paced, close knit environment that keep you feeling good about your job.(I always tell people if I worked at a busier store I would have hated Walgreen's, but it was too slow of a store to really get frustrated for long).

If they do not put it in writing when you get hired that you are or will be a pharmacy technician at their store then you have 2 options run away or work in the hopes that they will keep their word.
Now don't get me wrong! I am grateful for the job as it provided me with money and more work experience which was much needed. In fact I believe this job paved the way for my career as a technician and to study harder. I even perfected my customer service skills . I can admit I was a great employee until a customer was rude. I would then mirror their reaction to me and well get a bit unprofessional and lock up mentally and physically. Now I simply let a manager handle it and walk away or I simply ignore the ignorance and continue my phony have a nice day speech. I mean I am getting paid to be mistreated right?

I am aware that I choose to work there. Yes. I did accept the job offer knowing I would be a cashier essentially, but I was also told that I would get moved to the pharmacy after a few months of good work. I was there for almost a year more than double what I was told and yet I never got moved back there to the holy grail.I don't believe that you should have to have something in writing if someone says that will do something there word should be good enough. You should not have to promise or swear by it. Of course it unfortunately doesn't always work out that way.
I was told by several other former employees and even pharmacists while I was still employed at the Big W that this is common practice at Walgreen's.
I've come to the conclusion that since lots of people know that retail pharmacies offer free training and job placement within their store with little to no experience whatsoever some take advantage of that by dangling a glimmer of distant hope before you which is just wrong. They should just tell you up front what they are all about and let you decide. Honestly I would have still accepted the job offer but I would have began my job hunt much sooner and I would have probably stayed with WIOA while I was working.
I suggest keeping your expectations low. Should you decide to take on the job and accept the offer stay on the lookout for other opportunities to pursue your career as a technician as with this company you might not want to put all of your eggs in one basket.
It's never too late to quit! You might even decide that you would like to pursue another career field.

I wrote this to give some insight on  my experience at Walgreen's. I am not the only example of this and I'm sure some of you reading this can probably relate. So let me know in the comments below. Did you get hired a Walgreen's with the impression that you would get to work in the pharmacy? Did they move you there? How long did it take to get transferred? Are you a "hitter"? Are you waiting for an interview or a call back for an offer? I want to know your thoughts, opinions and stories!

Stay Tuned!

Please Subscribe to my Blog and Follow Me on my other social media pages.

YouTube: 
https://www.youtube.com/user/CoMicninetyfive/videos

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Most Popular Posts